I recently turned in to Tor the latest Recluce novel —From the Forest, which is the first of several books about Alyiakal, whose name is mentioned as a historical figure in both Magi’i of Cyador and Scion of Cyador. Right now, I don’t have a publication date, but it’s unlikely to appear before the second half of 2023 or perhaps early 2024 — but that’s a guess on my part.

17 thoughts on “”

1. John Beumer says:

I was passing by to thank you for the cover art and typeface on Isolate when I saw that you had just posted about a new book. If I remember correctly (alright, I looked it up.) Alykiakal was an important actor in the beginnings of Cyador, but he wasn’t remembered and celebrated for it. This seems to be a theme that you like because something similar happened to Quaeryt in the Imager Portfolio. This raises a question, are you a fan of Alexander Hamilton?

1. In fact, I’m a big fan of Alexander Hamilton, and also of a number of other “under-recognized” historical figures.

2. Wine Guy says:

These coming words (hopefully many many words) about Alyiakal make me ridiculously happy. What makes me even more happy is the phrase “first of several.”

3. Echoing Wine Guy, it also makes me very happy to hear that there will be not one, not two, but several books about Alyiakal. Yay!

4. Heather says:

I can’t wait to read more about Alyiakal. Thank you!

5. R. Hamilton says:

Very interesting, from the hint in the short story, someone with a more multifaceted experience than most of his society. Definitely looking forward to it!

Also curious if there’s some plan for something, whether novel or short story, that describes how Fairhaven changed in about two centuries from how more or less balanced it was under Beltur to how wildly unbalanced it was in the days of Creslin.

1. With more work to do on the next novel about Alyiakal, I haven’t even considered possible future novels set in the world of Recluce.

6. Matt says:

Looking quite forward to these stories. Important character in Cyadors history.

7. Bill M. says:

A short introduction to Alyiakal (“The One Never Mentioned”) can be found in Chapter XIII of “Magi’i of Cyador.” There is some background about his accomplishments and why the Magi’i, the Lancers, and even the Merchanters disliked him, despite his success in leading Cyador.
    Thank you, Mr. Modesitt for returning to Recluce once again. Can’t wait!!!

8. Valerie says:

This is exciting, however are you going to do any stories similar to the fall of angels but from the chaos side. Letting us know how they ended up on the planet?

1. We’ll just have to see. I still have to finish the books about Alyiakal.

1. Valerie says:

Thanks. I’ve just finished the whole recluse series so I’m really looking forward to what’s forthcoming.

9. Mic T Holcomb says:

Having just finished Fairhaven Rising, what I thought would be the last book of The Saga of Recluce. I was pleasantly surprised to discover another (and possibly more) book added to the saga. I look forward to reading it. Having already read the previous 21 recluce novels as well as the Imager Portfolio books I’m having difficulties deciding which of your series to obtain next! However, since I intend to add all of them to my library it should not be of much difficulty. I thank you for all of your excellent writing.

10. Jason says:

Thank you for writing these… I am ecstatic that you picked him as your next main character. Lorn has long been my favorite and the mere thought of getting a full series based on this means a lot to me. Fanboy? Sure, but it’s well warranted. I appreciate your novels and will devour these as I have all that have come before this one. Truly grateful, I only hope that one of my kids will appreciate these as I have.

11. R. Hamilton says:

BTW, Naclos: informed prediction or lucky guess? 🙂 No magic powers in this world, but still a forest functions as a community in ways we seldom imagine.

1. Prediction, but based on a sense of how life operates before the science types confirmed it.

12. Elijah says:

I can’t wait to read into perhaps the origins of this Recluce saga. I’m just halfway through my chronological reading of the series. Thank you for adding more novels to what has been an most enjoyable series. I’m trying to get the collection in hardcover for my collection of favored series.