I’ve finally finished the last editorial revisions on another Recluce novel — Fairhaven Rising — and my editor will be putting it into the production process shortly. Since I’m not much for spoilers, I’ll just say that the events take place some sixteen years after the end of The Mage-Fire War, and the protagonist isn’t Beltur.

With that novel finished, I’m switching gears slightly, and exploring and developing the background for a brand new fantasy series with an entirely different magic system in an entirely new world. And no, it’s not far enough along to say more.

28 thoughts on “”

1. Matt says:

So this means there are now two upcoming Recluce novels? Nice. Looking forward to this new series as well.

2. Wine Guy says:

Imaging, Talent, Order-Chaos, Spellsong, and Cyber-warriors. I’m very interested in seeing what this new system brings!

3. I’m looking forward immensely to the two written-but-not-yet-published Recluce novels, but am also eager to see a new fantasy milieu from you. Thank you for providing such thoroughly enjoyable books!

4. Chris Ryan says:

Easily my favorite series and author. Thankyou for your wonderful writing, I re-read The Saga of Recluce over and over again.

5. Alain says:

Wow. Just 16 years on. Then Beltur (I’m re-reading “The Mongrel Mage” now) should still be alive , assuming nothing fatal happened to him during ‘Mage-Fire War” or in the intervening years prior. Can’t wait!!

As always, many thanks!

6. Bea Barber says:

Just read your blog comments about dragons. I recommend taking a look at Peter Dickinson’s marvellous book The Flight of Dragons – published back in the 70s or 80s I think. His take on it concentrates on the bio-physics of flight, not the magic. His theory is that they flew because they were very large. And a whole of lot of other ‘draconic’ traits stem from the necessary adaptations. Convinced me.

7. Gordon says:

Just finished The Mage-Fire War. A great read. Any idea when the next book, Fairhaven Rising, will be available on kindle?

1. CORRECTIONFairhaven Rising is scheduled for release in January 2021.

[I just plain screwed up on the year. Somehow, even though I knew it was seventeen months away, I still typed in the wrong year.]

8. Darrell Frazier says:

Finished The Mage-Fire War last night. Thoroughly enjoyed the read as with all the Recluce books. As always, fighting to save your home and your people comes at a price and real heroes are those who draw the line in the sand and say we won’t walk away. Great characters and thoughtful ethical perspective. So glad we don’t have to wait til next summer for the next Recluce novel.

1. I screwed up on the date. Fairhaven Rising won’t come out until January 2021. I’m sorry for inadvertently misleading everyone.

9. Shehreyar Khan says:

I haven’t yet read the Mage-Fire War, but I’m guessing the protagonist of Fairhaven Rising is likely to be Taelya, who is a budding white mage.

I’m very grateful for the Recluce series and even after so many years, every new book is as exciting as the first Recluce novel I read.

10. Milford Havens says:

Just finished reading the Mage-Fire War. Like all Recluse books, it is a keeper one must re-read many times. The enjoyment just gets greater over time. Thanky you!

I must ask however…will there be more imager novels in the future?

1. Thank you for your kind words about The Mage-Fire War.

For better or worse, I have no plans for more Imager novels.

1. Chris M says:

Mage-Fire War was a great book as all of your books are!! I’m. Looking forward to Fairhaven Rising in January 2022!!!

11. Alan says:

Having finished Mage-Fire Wars, I am really looking forward to the next book, though I am quite saddened to have to wait so long! Like others I speculate it being about Taelya. And I suspect the establishment of Fairhaven in full force.

Of equal interest to me are the new science fiction novel and the new series with new magic. The intricate and in depth worlds you create are a big part of what I love about your writing.

12. kai says:

It seems that most of the Recluse main characters always drink lager or ale, even while on duty as soldiers.
    Please convince my sergeant to let me fill my canteen with lager. Better yet, all military worldwide should realize that lager is good for soldiers! 🙂

1. R. Hamilton says:

This was of course true in the real world in some sense or another, since water could not be counted on to be safe to drink. Nowadays, we supply good water if we can, or purification tablets (invented early in the 20th century) when we can’t. And where logistics or cost doesn’t prevent it, we have the option of refrigeration for milk, juice, etc. Before that, the only things reasonably safe were well-boiled water, or alcoholic beverages, at least unless you had a good well far out in the boonies, and were careful to keep anything from falling in and contaminating it.

FWIW, some places at least accommodate shift workers to the extent of having the club open for a couple of hours after the last night shift. (or at least that was true at some facilities with a high density of shift workers, back in the mid the 70’s) No downside of less-than-sober on duty for that.

13. David says:

Too bad about Imager series. I was a bit surprised that you have another Recluce book coming. It seems like you are tying up the loose ends on that universe as well.

14. R. Hamilton says:

You do enjoy taking the difficult way to get there, right? I’ve always wondered why Fairhaven was biased to the point of believing their own propaganda (“The Book of Ayrlyn” was downright factual compared to “Colors of White”, yet even the relatively honest Kinowin regarded the former as more deceptive than the latter). Given that Fairhaven was founded to be open to black and white mages alike, you’ve got a job to do to explain how incredibly distorted it got, esp. since at least until the successful use of black mages in battle, most rulers tended to patronize white mages for their obvious ability to apply force. Should be interesting! And of course the amount of continuity that you’ve already created to be consistent with should add to the challenge.

1. Ross says:

Hamilton, I agree with your statements and look forward to how he brings things together. I love the fact you brought up the differences of the “books”. I think his time in the military brings light to history books and biographies…”he who win wars, or pays enough money, writes history”. Propaganda warfare versus personal perception is awesome.

15. LauraA says:

I just finished “The Mage-Fire War” too. Thanks for writing it! I’ve been hoping that Beltur will get to pursue his interests in teaching and education more generally – I’ve pictured him starting an academy in Fairhaven.

16. Thomas Belford says:

I’ve already read Mage Fire War twice and enjoyed it thoroughly both times. I was sincerely hoping for another follow up to explore the growth of Fairhaven. You’ve been my favourite fantasy author for over two decades now. I’m, of course, chagrined to have to wait until January 2021 but life seems to keep presenting me with more opportunities to embrace my needs for patience.

17. Henry keen says:

Just finished mage fire war and it didn’t disappoint. Looking forward to Fairhaven rising. I was wondering if your new sci-fi book coming out is the one we talked about a few years ago.Being possibly a mixture of sci-fi and fantasy? Also looking forward to your new fantasy book with the all new magic system. You do not disappoint my friend :)Thank you for a lifetime of entertainment.

1. Quantum Shadows is indeed a mixture of science fiction and fantasy and is currently scheduled for release next July.

18. Ryan Schmitz says:

Any news on the new fantasy series? Just curious since it has been six months since you posted this…

1. I’m still working on it. There won’t be any more news until I finish it.

19. Lizl Bennefeld says:

I was so hoping there would be another Beltur book. Thank you!

1. Beltur’s in the book, but he’s not the protagonist.